Monday, July 5, 2010

Burned 1000 calories in 38 minutes!

Ok, totally cool revelation. I burned 1000+ calories thanks to a 38 minute workout. That's right. I bought a calorie monitor and decided to monitor one of the crossfit workouts. We did the "Filthy Fifty" as dictated by my brother the Coach. I am not going to tell you about it yet.

The workout was killer. My heart rate was really high- burning calories baby! I even had to modify because I think I strained a back muscle doing some stupid class at the gym last week. Our little group meets at Bluebonnet Elementary each Sunday morning and does a crossfit workout designed by my brother.

During this workout, I burned 700+ calories, but as you may not know, you continue burning calories at a rapid rate following a vigorous workout. So for the workout and following  half hour or so, I burned over 1000 calories. That kicks my usual 600 calories an hour or so resting burn!

So are you dying to hear about the workout? Don't let it scare you off. I am going to list the workout as prescribed and then descibe my modifications. Don't run away yet.

The Filthy Fifty- For time (that means time it to see how long it takes you)
50 knees to elbows (hanging from the monkey bars pull your knees to your elbows)
50 hyper-extnesions (lay belly down on a big ball and pull up with your back)
50 burpees (from standing- jump down to push-up position, do push-up, jump back up)
50 jumping pull ups (stand on a box, jump up to pull up position, lower yourself down)
50 box jumps (jump on a box or curb- extending through the hips for explosive power)
50 double unders (jump rope where rope goes around twice for each jump- or 200 regular jumps)
50 push presses (use dumbells or weight bar and do push presses )
50 walking lunges (get those knees to tap the ground)
50 wall balls (from deep squat throw a medicine ball to the wall)
50 kettle bell swings

Ok, so I did most of that taking a few breathers in between. The goal is to keep the heart rate up and do them as fast as you can. That way you are getting awesome cardio and resistance training. So, yesterday my modifications were these: I couldn't jump because my back hurt, so I did step-ups to an 8-10" curb for the box jump and then an additional 100 step-ups instead of jump rope. Also, since I am not in good enough shape to do 10 burpees let alone 50, my burpee is basically fall to the ground, and get back up again. Someday, I have a dream of doing a complete burpee! For kettle bells, I used a 20 poound weight and my walkking lunges didn't quite make a knee tap.

The cool thing about this workout is that you don't need a gym membership, you don't need much expensive equipment, and you can scale it very easily to meet your physical abilities. My brother the SWAT trainer and competitor was crawling on the ground when he was done. My son, the football hero, was crumpled on the ground in the fetal position. The only way we knew he was alive was his thumbs up when I asked him if he was still alive! They used larger weights and medicine balls and did real burpees!

Why kill yourself like this you may be asking??? Because I burned an extra 1000+ calories from a 38 minute workout. And the most important thing- the feeling you get after a workout like this is amazing. Not only does the body feel great, it does something for the mind. You look at the workout written down and think, there is no way I can do this...then when you finish, even if it is not pretty, that feeling is the best of all.

No comments: