Friday, July 9, 2010

Triathlon Training has begun

I am not sure what sparked this interest in the triathlon, but I am going to give it a shot. I have never seen myself as an athlete, and now I think I can see myself finishing a triathlon. I am doing this to prove to myself that I can be athletic. I was always the big dorky klutz in my family, constantly falling and tripping and what-not. Not anymore. I am going to turn this rugged mess into something smooth and polished. And I have a lot of work to do.

Today I did a Brass Ring Fitness workout:
Max Rounds (do as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes)
20 Minutes
Each round consists of:
10 squats
10 push-ups
10 sit-ups

Sounds easy right? Wrong! I did 10 rounds. Two more than my studly husband and 5 less than my 15 year old football champ son!

After the brass ring, I swam 6 laps. Not much, but I was beat. My swimming is pitiful. I am sure I look like a retarded whale at this point. I have never learned how to hold my breath under water. I have to hold my nose with my hand. And so when I am swimming, my head is all the way out of the water. That is not a very effective swimming technique. So I bought some nose plugs and have been trying to learn how to swim for real. Hmmmm.... The first time I tried to go under water with the nose plugs, I freaked out! What's up with that? So, I have been working on my breathing technique. I watched a cool video ( I will post below) and that helped. So today, it was a few laps and lots of breathing practice. Ok, so no more freaking out, but when I turn my head sideways to breath all I get is hair in my mouth. Time for a super-dorky hat. There is more to this being an athlete thing than meets the eye, that's for sure.



Happy Swimming!

No comments: