Monday, July 26, 2010

Small Victories- Shopping! No more plus sizes

The last time I shopped out of plus sizes was about 7 years ago. Today after 3 months of diet and exercise, I am out of the plus sizes. The last time I went shopping I was in a 3X. I am not sporting L and XLs depending on the brand and in a size 16!

I am so psyched. This will tell you a lot about my personality. My favorite store is Old Navy. I have often fantasized about having an entire wardrobe from Old Navy. So, today I went and bought a bunch of clothes there. I haven't been able to shop there in forever.

I had the best time today. I went out alone. By my self. A-L-O-N-E! I am going back to work ( I am a teacher) in a week or so and I am growing or shrinking rather out of all my old clothes. I gathered up a huge pile of 3x and 2x clothes to donate this evening.

One thing that I was excited about other than work clothes. (I am a little worried I won't be dressed up enough- Old Navy and all....but I don't care too much. I had so much fun) I bought work out clothes. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER bought outfits to work out in before this year. I just grabbed some old shorts and a t-shirt and went for it. I still think that is a fine way to go, but I am in a different place now. I am thinking differently about this lifestyle change. I am taking this seriously and the workout attire is a big step for me. For me, it means I am carving out a space for this lifestyle. I am taking it seriously and I am embracing it fully.

I am a minimalist at heart and everyone who has seen my wardrobe knows this about me. I don't need much and I don't dress to impress. I don't have a need for tons of stuff. We routinely go through and purge our house of junk and extras and things we don't need (more about that later). So making a purchase of workout attire is a very big thing.

My other favorite place to shop is Academy and get this...I found dress shoes at Academy. I was in a ton of stores looking with fear and trepidation for dress shoes. I have big feet. Size 10.5 wide, which never happens, so 11 in real life. They don't make cute dress shoes for size 11 feet. So when I find a pair that work, I wear them until they fall apart. I also dread the breaking in of new shoes. Yuk.

Anyway, I had to stop at Academy for work out shoes. The soles are falling off my old ones. To my surprise they have dress shoes there. I found the most adorable pair of shoes. They are brown cowboy boot front and open back and since I don't wear socks much anymore, they are perfect and ADOREABLE. I will post a pic to prove it, because I know you fashion divas have imagined my frumpiness from my writing and don't believe I even know what cute is. I promise these are cute. Now that I am not in plus sizes anymore, maybe my fashion diva will develop! They just don't make cute fat clothes. The best part of all- they were only $16! And they are comfortable and soft inside. I love them. I also found a pair of not so cute but functional slip on boot looking things for $6. For tramping around in the woods. I miss the woods.

So now my two favorite stores are Old Navy and Academy. All of that to say this: I am not where I want to be, but I am not where I was. I am getting better and I am celebrating the small victories!

Go out and win! 

No comments: