Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Local (Ft. Worth) Adventure Races

So, now that I am working out like a fiend, I am going to have to start setting my sights on some goals and stuff. 'Cause that's just how I am. I am not talking about weight loss goals. Those have been set already. I am talking about what I am going to do with my super fine fit self in six months. My first love is martial arts. So, Goal Number 1) Get back into comepetive martial arts and earn my black belt. I have an orange belt in American Karate, but I am actually thinking of checking out Crav Maga. I am not going to return until I am super fit and tough though. I did karate fat and I didn't like being fat and doing martial arts. This is why I am doing crossfit- to get tough.

Meanwhile, my brother (AKA Coach) is into all of this wicked crazy adventure race stuff. So, I am checking it out.

Adventure racing takes usually takes place on rugged terrain. No paved roads here, if you please. So for those of us who hate running aimlessly on paved roads that were meant for cars and bikes and not human knees, adventure racing might be just the thing! There is a track over the hills and through the woods with obstacles and rivers and often times lots of mud. At the end of the race, it seems that the runners usually get free beer!

I am going to try one this fall and will let you know how it goes. Here are the local ones that I have come across so far. As I hear of more I will post to my site. Check it out and come join us in the fun!

http://www.runthejailbreak.com/
http://www.cavemancrawl.com/Home.html
http://www.mudrundfw.com/ms/

No comments: